Here's a not-so-modest list of actions that should be taken by Obama in his first term in order to right the ship of state and return the United States to the path of a true democratic republic – of the people, by the people and for the people. This is by no means complete or comprehensive; nor are the items listed by priority or expediency.
1. End the illegal war in Iraq and remove all US personnel and contractors other than those necessary for manning and securing the US embassy at levels consistent with other embassies in the Middle-east.
2. End the illegal war in Afghanistan and remove all US personnel and contractors other than those necessary for manning and securing the US embassy at levels consistent with other embassies in the Western Asia.
3. Begin formal process for the providing war reparations to the people (not the governments) of Iraq and Afghanistan through NGOs. (e.g. Red Cross/Red Crescent, CARE, Doctors Without Borders, etc)
4. Arrange a series of formal meetings between the high-level US State Department officials and high-level Iranian officials.
5. Bring the US into full compliance with the IAEA and the non-proliferation treaty.
6. Fund and promote alternative energy sources, comprehensive energy and resource management policies and ‘Green’ product development.
7. Bring the US into reasonable accord with the international community regarding war, human rights, economic policy, etc and assume a temporary non-voting seat on the UN Security Council.
8. Withdraw unconditional support for State of Israel. France, the oldest ally of the United States does not have that permanent status. American foreign policy is NOT Israeli foreign policy and vice versa.
9. End the bloat at the Pentagon; keep our armed forces strong but keep them at home. (Homeland Security... get it?) Reduce the Pentagon budget by at least 50% over the next four years.
10. End the Federal Reserve's strangle hold on the economic lives of the US people. Make the Federal Reserve directly accountable to Congress by placing it within the Treasury Department. Limit each term of the Federal Reserve Board Chairman to 4 years with a limit of two consecutive terms.
11. Amend the fractional reserve system and return to the gold and silver standard.
12. Remove corporate entities from Constitutional protection as individuals. Corporate entities are NOT individuals any more than any organization (e.g. the Catholic Church, the Lions Club, the Republican Party, etc) is an individual but rather a formal association of individuals comprising a group. If an entity does not develop from a human fetus then the entity is not, CANNOT be a citizen and therefore is NOT entitled to the rights of citizenship.
13. Stop all of this blather about the Free Market as if it's Holy Writ. Regulation of industry, business enterprises and corporations are as necessary as regulation of government and therefore in a democratic society must be primarily for the benefit of the people.
14. Let failing commercial enterprises fail but provide workers a safety net. The bosses responsible for the failure of the enterprise are guaranteed ‘Golden Parachutes’ why shouldn’t the workers who toiled and gave their sweat, blood and life-force as wage-slaves be afforded the same guarantee?
15. Social services must come before service to commercial enterprises including the military-industrial complex (i.e. the Pentocracy).
16. Dismantle the Patriot Act brick by brick and restore the constitutional rights of citizens and residents.
17. Abrogate the Imperial presidency and restore the Constitutional balance of power.
18. End signing statements and restrict the power and number of presidential orders per term.
19. Declassify all documents related to the events of 9/11.
20. Declassify all documents related to the Torture Programs, Rendition and Black Sites.
21. Declassify all documents related to the illegal wire-taping of US citizens.
22. Repeal and renege on the order of amnesty to those companies which participated in any illegal wire-taping.
23. Establish a bi-partisan commission to re-investigate the 9/11 attacks.
24. Establish bi-partisan commissions to investigate the possible War Crimes committed by members of the Bush/Cheney administrations.
25. Establish bi-partisan commissions to investigate the possible crimes committed by members of the Bush/Cheney administrations against the Constitution and civic law.
26. Name independent prosecutors with full subpoena powers for each of the aforementioned commissions cited on this list.
27. Last but not least, repeal the National Security Act of 1947 and the subsequent mis-named security acts and dismantle the Security State for the sake of the republic, the people and the world.